So I followed up the documentation to setup external email provider with Mandrill
I have an account also an API key.
When I set the API key and click “Send Test Email” it says that the email is sent successfully.
When I open the logs there are two logs there:
And the error log looks like that:
I cannot understand why, for sure I am setting the correct API key which is from Mandrill.
Also one think I noticed when I am setting the API key is that:
I am copying the API key from Mandrill, then I am pasting it in the “Custom Email Provider Settings”
And the input looks like that:
When I click save it becomes:
(Just check the length of the first image and the second)
I don’t know if that is the problem or just Auth0 saves the API key in the database and after that makes the input value just to be equal to hardcoded “********”.