Debugging Auth0 Actions

Hi,

Is there any way to debug Auth0 actions? The Actions documentation states “Nothing is worse than getting an error and not having the ability to track down the problem.” I agree! Unfortunately, Actions does not seem to provide this functionality.

How can I debug my actions to see if, for example, claims are being appended to my id token? Is there any debugger I can attach as there was with Rules? Thank you!

Hi @ben_wozniak,

I understand that you’re looking for clarification on debugging Auth0 Actions.

The best way to test whether your Action is working is by navigating to your Custom Action and pressing the Test button, and then the Try button located on the left column of the IDE.

Doing so will allow you to simulate a call to your login flow and use test parameters and see the test results.

For now, you may find our Post-login template for adding claims to tokens useful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I’d be happy to clarify.

1 Like

Hi @rueben.tiow ,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the Test button does not provide any information about the run, nor does it support debugging. I want to see if the Action successfully adds the claims I am expecting it to. Is there any way to debug an action?

Hi @ben_wozniak,

Could you please clarify whether you can see the Test Results?

Here is a screenshot of my custom Action that I executed. As shown, there were no errors, and I obtained my desired result. I also had a console.log statement at the end just for clarity that my action was completed.

Interesting, I was using console logs in the past, but never saw them. I now see the reason why. I had some values on the event I was not setting which was causing my action to short-circuit before it got to my console log, or the error in the script itself. So, I can now see that the logs are visible.

Thank you for the help and the quick response!

Hi @ben_wozniak,

That’s great to hear that you figured it out! We’ve all been there.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Have a great rest of your day!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.