Customise password strength rules text in new universal experience

We’re using the ‘new universal’ experience and would prefer to have ‘lowercase’ and ‘uppercase’ written as single words in the copy displayed if certain password strength requirements aren’t met. I think it looks like it’s possible with the ‘classic universal’ experience, but can’t see if it is with our set up. Is this an option?

Hi @dmc,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand you would like to customize the password strength.

In this case, I recommend that you navigate to your Database connection and configuring the Password Policy in your Database connection to be at least Fair.

Doing so will enable lowercase and uppercase password requirements whenever the user resets their password or signs up.

You can check that the password policy is updated by going to your Dashboard’s Get Started page and clicking the “Try it out” button or the Preview tab on the Universal Login page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I would be glad to help.

Hi @rueben.tiow — thanks for your reply. I’m interested in changing the copy associated with the rules rather than the rules themselves. Is that an option?

Hi @dmc,

Thank you for your response.

To assist you further, could you please clarify your use case and the intended behavior of your flow?

And, could you elaborate on what is meant by “copy”?

Meanwhile, you might find our documentation on the difference between the New vs Classic experience useful: https://auth0.com/docs/login/universal-login/new-universal-login-vs-classic-universal-login

Hi @rueben.tiow

By ‘copy’ I mean ‘words’.

Here’s what is displayed to a user currently:

It includes the words, ‘Lower case’ and ‘Upper case’.

Because our internal style is for these to be one word (i.e. ‘lowercase’ and ‘uppercase’), we’d like to be able to edit what is displayed to reflect this.

Hi @dmc,

Thank you for that clarification.

Yes, it is possible to change the Password Strength wording. Changing the passwordStrength wording is usually done through the Lock configuration option’s languageDictionary object.

Here is an example screenshot showing your use case. Note that I configured my Database Connection password policy to Good, which is why there’s a requirement for Special Characters.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I would be glad to help.

Thanks @rueben.tiow — it’s not clear to me how the Lock plugin fits in to the New Universal Login Experience.

Hi @dmc,

My apologies for the delayed response.

Let me clarify. The New Universal Login Experience is powered by the Lock.js library. Thus, to modify your Universal Login, you will need to configure Lock to your needs. This is where the Lock Configuration Options become relevant, and is used to customize the look and feel of your Universal Login Page.

Circling back to your original question, you can customize the password strength text by doing something like this:

var lock = new Auth0Lock(config.clientID, config.auth0Domain, {
    languageDictionary: {
      passwordStrength: {
        lowerCase: 'lowercase',
        upperCase: 'uppercase'
      },
    },
});

Hoped this helps! Please let me know if need further assistance, I would be happy to help.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.