We have set up a custom domain. When trying to use it, we got an error screen. The Dashboard confirmed that the “Your domain is configured correctly” when clicking “Test” on the custom domain.
Error is thrown when the custom domain is used, and the request isn’t even making it to their Auth0 tenant.
- Update the native app to use a custom domain
- Try and run the app locally using an emulator
The best way to diagnose this issue is to try making a request to /authorize using the custom domain outside the customer’s network.
The custom domain was blocked by the customer’s firewall/VPN configuration.
Add the custom domain to the firewall or VPN’s allowlist.