Can't log into Wordpress, AD email is shared with a present Wordpress account

Today I decided to connect an instance of my Wordpress Multisite installation to Auth0, using an Active Directory Enterprise connection. I already had one user on the Wordpress installation (my Superadmin account) which shares the email to an account in the AD. Now when I try to login using my AD credentials I get an error message that says I need to verify my email address.

Of course AD doesn’t have the email_verified metadata set on it, and because I haven’t successfully logged into Wordpress using Auth0 it doesn’t exist on my already-created account either. I know this is what’s throwing off the login, but how do I fix it? I already tried going into the database and manually changing the email address on my account, but that didn’t seem to make any difference.

@sc.atter - Can you turn off the verified email requirement in the plugin? wp-admin > Auth0 > Settings > Advanced.

Yeah, I never had it on to begin with. It still says I need to have a verified email. I think the issue is that my superadmin Wordpress user has the same email as the AD user I’m trying to log in as. From what I understand what happens is Auth0 sees that the email addresses match, wants to merge the two users, but can’t unless the email is verified. Since there’s no metadata attached to either user to flag email_verified as true, the whole thing fails. I just want to know how to fix it without having to hack the plugin and have to port that hack every update.

@sc.atter - Gotcha. And you are correct, only verified email addresses can be merged.

This is something that came up recently internally and our solution was to build in a filter to allow certain connections, admin-configurable, to skip that verification. So you would turn on email verification then allow certain connections to skip that.

If that would work for you, I can add that to our next sprint and an upcoming release.

Absolutely, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for all your help!

No problem. We have a release coming out this week and will make sure this is in the one after that. I’ll update this thread when we have a beta ready (on GitHub).