Auth0 Home Blog Docs

Assign Role to Users when Bulk Importing via Management API

Hi,

When using the management API to bulk import a list of users via the /api/v2/jobs/users-imports endpoint, is it possible to also assign roles to the users? I don’t see anything in the JSON schema that lets us assign a role to a user.

However, I did notice that in this tutorial video at 7:25, a role is assigned to a user in the example using the “app_metadata” JSON property. I tried to do the same when testing a bulk import, but that didn’t seem to work. I took a look at the roles and permissions for the new users in the management portal, and nothing was set. The only property that was set was the “app_metadata” property on the user.

Is there any way to actually set a user’s roles and permissions when bulk importing?

NOTE: Our auth API is setup to use RBAC.

Hello @jvivanco,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

It sounds like you might be using the Auth0 “Core RBAC” feature. What is demonstrated in that video is not related to core RBAC. It looks more like a roll-your-own-rbac solution.

One of the Auth0 folks might correct me, but I don’t think it is possible (at this time at least) to import core RBAC stuff via the /users-imports endpoint, since the RBAC data is stored separate from the user’s profile. I suspect you would have to load that data separately using the /roles or /users endpoints.

I’d suggest submitting a feature request here.

2 Likes