A Guide to Angular 8's Differential Loading

Angular 8 now sends separate bundles to legacy browsers by default. Learn more about this new Angular feature, differential loading, in this article.

Brought to you by @sam.julien :man_technologist:t2:

Read on :a:

What do you think of differential loading? Will you be able to use it in your application?

One very important note about this: See that not IE 9-11 part? If you need to support those browsers, you can remove the not , but it comes at a price. Those versions of Internet Explorer can’t take advantage of differential loading, so it will be disabled.

I don’t think this is true. It appears to be based on a misunderstanding of the exceedingly unclear Angular docs (Angular):

To explicitly disable differential loading and create an ES5 build:

• Enable the dead or IE browsers in the browserslist configuration file by removing the not keyword in front of them.
  • To create a single ES5 build, set the target in the compilerOptions to es5 .

Regardless, it is certainly possible to support IE11 with differential loading, as the subsequent sections of the Angular documentation make clear.

Hi @dtaylor84, thanks for stopping by. That was based on a conversation I had in the Angular Team Slack, but it’s entirely possible I misunderstood, so thanks!

2 Likes