Where can I find documentation for a custom error page?

I find the default error page used for expired email verification tokens a bit week, it just states " Error. Your email address could not be verified." without telling the reason.

If I use a custom error page, I will get a query parameter stating the reason, that it is expired. It will be https://example.com/my-custom-error-page.html?error_description=Access%20expired

Where can I find documentation about what other error_descriptions I may receive here? (and is it possible to get an error code instead of a description?)

1 Like

Hey there,
To my knowledge, by default, Auth0 will not return a detailed information (whether in a form of text description or a status code) of why the email verification result is unsuccessful.

We could approach your problem from a bit different perspective - from a customer (developer / administrator) point of view, there is only one way to verify the email per the verification method by the end user. For example, in case of magic link sent to verify the email, the only operational reason for this to fail would be to click it after the expiration time.

For the other - non-operational reasons - not showing the detailed reasoning might be security-justified.

Let me please also bring here a way to update the description of the email verification failure pages. Here you can find the variables available to modify how the page is rendered by providing your own description (text) for the specific key. (especially, please see the screenshot below for prompts and keys)

Here are the samples API calls to customise prompts and screens.

Please reach out if that helps or if you would like to expand the topic with your new suggestions / insight!
Sample API call that you could potentially use:

curl --request PUT \
  --url 'https://{yourDomain}/api/v2/prompts/email-verification/custom-text/en' \
  --header 'authorization: Bearer MGMT_API_ACCESS_TOKEN' \
  --header 'content-type: application/json' \
  --data '{ "email-verification-result": { "unknownErrorDescription": "Test text" } }'
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.