Update User API Field Deletion Not Working With Imported Users

I created a user via email & password authentication with my own database and migrated this user to auth0. In the process of logging in this user for the first time, I also created a roles attribute inside app_metadata by providing the field in the object of the callback for the custom database login script.

The Json looks something like:

{
    "app_metadata": {
        "roles": ["test-role"]
    }
}

When I use the v2 update user API and I try to delete the roles field as specified in the docs, it does not work. The attribute remains and the user is unchanged.

What’s more interesting is that I can create new attributes inside this app_metadata and delete the roles attribute but when I try to delete all attributes, it resets back to having the test-role attribute inside roles inside app_metadata.

A more detailed workflow of what I tried below:

PATCH to the API with body

{
		"roles": ["test-role"],
		"A": 1
	}
}

Updates my user to have expected fields (roles and A are both present with correct values) when I perform a GET on that user.

Then…

{
		"A": 1,
		"roles": null
	}
}

Updates my user to have only A field and roles is deleted, which I expect because of how merging works.

Then…

{
	"app_metadata": {}
}

Updates my user to revert back to containing only the roles field as “test-role” and no A field. I would expect this to delete app_metadata’s contents entirely but it changes it back to whatever data was in this object when the user was first migrated.

I tried with a user created directly in Auth0 (not migrated) and there are no issues there. I was wondering if this is a bug or some sort of special behaviour Auth0 has.

Hey there!

Sorry for such a delayed response! We’re doing our best in providing you with the best developer support experience out there but sometimes our bandwidth is just not enough for all the questions coming in. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Can you let us know if you still require further assistance from us?

Hello,

We no longer have a use for this functionality so I don’t require further assistance. However, I think that this case was strange and might be a bug of some sort but I haven’t tried to reproduce it since January.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

No worries! Thanks for letting us know!