Unable to update an API with patch resource

Hi all,
I’m trying to update the HS256 signing secret for an API. This should be possible using the Resource Server resource via the Management API like so: Auth0 Management API v2

I can access correctly access the details of the API in question with the appropriate GET request. I can enumerate all the APIs, I got the management token manually via the dashboard and it appears to have the correct scopes for what I want to do: “read:resource_servers update:resource_servers delete:resource_servers create:resource_servers”

In my case call the PATCH method with a payload that contains the new signing secret.

My issue is that no matter the payload I try all I get is a 301 response that redirects to the GET request, so
this call PATCH http://.us.auth0.com/api/v2/resource-servers/ with a payload redirects to GET http://.us.auth0.com/api/v2/resource-servers/

Is the ability to update deprecated/not supported perhaps ?

Anyone able to update an API via the Management API ? the Management API Explorer also doesnt work for me for this particular call.


Hi @laku,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I have ran some tests on my end and found no issues with updating my API’s signing algorithm from RS256 to HS256.

In my tests, I used Postman to make a PATCH request to the Management API’s Update a resource server endpoint. In the response, I received a 200 response status code and when checking the Dashboard, the changes are reflected on there.

Here is the piece of code I used to update the API’s signing algorithm:

curl -L -X PATCH 'https://login.auth0.com/api/v2/resource-servers/:id' \
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
-H 'Accept: application/json' \
-d '{"signing_alg":"HS256"}'

Please let me know how it goes for you.


1 Like

Hi Reuben,
I was able to get back to this and it seems to work now. The docs specify a 201 response, but I do get a 200 now.

For what its worth after reading your reply I did use the login.auth0.com hostname with my ‘:id’ which obviously error’d out and then I switched back to my tenant hostname and all seemed to be working.


1 Like

Hi @laku,

Thanks for the update, and I’m glad it’s working now!

Please reach out to us again if you have any additional questions.


This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.