Timeout settings

Hi,

Hope you are well. I wanted to check if there some documentation on the timeout settings on the management API.

If called in the rules how would be timeout work?

Would we see any errors in logs in https://manage.auth0.com/dashboard/region/tenancyxxxxx/logs if the calls timed out i.e. for management API or external api calls?

Hi @gautam.pachnanda,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand you have questions about timeouts when using the Management API in Rules.

First, I would recommend that if you are already encountering timeouts with the Management API, please review this documentation on the best practices for performance.

Next, I recommend reading this FAQ that explains in greater detail about handling timeouts in Rules.

In general, the total execution time for all Rules should not exceed 20 seconds. Therefore, when using the Management API in Rules, you will have to ensure that the API calls do not timeout to avoid any timeout errors from Rules.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Hi Rueben,

Thanks for the update. Do the logs from realtime web extension log appear in logging that you can access via the tenancy dashboard? How would we know if we have protected a rule against the timeouts (i.e. logged the error and continued) that how many timeout’s are actually taking place in the rules?

Hi @gautam.pachnanda,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the Real-time Webtask Logs extension does not have an option to “save” logs. However, there is an option to use this strategy to save the logs from the Real-time Webtask Logs extension as files on your machine.

You can determine if a Rule is protected against timeouts by either testing the Rule in the interface editor or testing the complete authentication flow.

Moreover, there is only one global timeout in Rules, and the total execution of all Rules must not exceed 20 seconds.

Does that help answer your questions?

Thank you.

1 Like