The Complete Guide to Node.js User Authentication with Auth0

This tutorial demonstrates how to secure a Node.js web application built with the Express framework by implementing user authentication. You’ll enhance a starter Node.js project to practice the following security concepts:

• Add user login and logout.
  • Retrieve user information.
  • Protect application routes.
  • Call protected endpoints from an API.

Read on

This seems a helpful guide. I’ve been using the auth0-passport interface, and this seems to get at what I want in a cleaner way. Also, it allows using hints for sign-up or log-in, which I like.

However, there’s one thing I figured out with auth0-passport I cannot figure out here. How does my node.js application see what permissions a user has? For example, I have created a role called “creator” and given it a permission called “components:create”. In the Passport scheme, I turned on RBAC in the dashboard, and then decoded the access token in the Passport callback to get at the user permissions; if the “components:create” permission existed in that list, I would allow that user to submit a new component to my database.

However, in this library, I can’t figure out how to get at those user permissions. There are good examples for retrieving user Roles, but not for getting at the actual fine-grained permissions. Swapping back to the Passport code, the permissions are still showing up, but I can’t get at them with this library

I’ve tried writing a Rule or Action to get at permissions and copy them to a custom claim, but I can’t figure out how to get them from within an Action.

Also: what does the session: option actually do? It’s not using an express-session store, although it seems like it’s configured like one. Should I be using it? If not, why not? If so, how do I store my own session state data?

Thanks for any help.