[SOLVED] Auth0 returns a state mismatch upon login in dev environment (auth0-react)

I just wanted to post this here because it took me about 12 hours to solve this problem and I wanted to help others who may have run into it!

The Problem

I had an issue in using the @auth0/auth0-react package in a SPA where I was running on http://localhost:8080, it would throw a state mismatch error after correctly authorizing in the new Auth0 login redirect page. I would notice in the URL params that the state Auth0 generated for the login was different than the one it was returned/sent to the callback url. It felt like a race condition at first because it happened about 80% of the time we tried to log in.

A manual refresh reset the state and worked every time.

Honestly, searching online returned very limited results, but I tried:

• Using refresh tokens
  • Using the useCookiesForTransactions param for Auth0Provider
  • Adding a specific /callback url, react-router Route, and component
  • Setting my own cookies (even though it was a SPA) as with this WordPress Invalid State Error article suggested
  • Downgrading react-router to v5.3 from v6
  • Downgrading React from v18.x to v17.x
  • Using https instead of http (yes, even for localhost)
  • etc

The error I would get back had a stack trace that included lines in webpack’s source code.

Specs

Relevant package declarations in package.json:

• @auth0/auth0-react": "^1.12.0"
  • "react": "^18.1.0"
  • "react-dom": "^18.1.0"
  • "react-router-dom": "^6.4.3"
  • "webpack": "^5.72.0"
  • "webpack-cli": "^4.9.2"
  • "webpack-dev-server": "^4.9.0"

Other information:

• Mac OSX 12.4
  • Google Chrome Version 107.0.5304.110

The Solution

Are you ready? It’s super dumb.

Disabling HMR in Webpack.

We were running with hot: true in our webpack config and it caused our app to re-render unnecessarily (even without extra saves while logging in). I’m still not sure exactly why this caused Auth0 to trip up, but it might make sense that since it re-rendered a few extra times when redirecting to the callback, that Auth0 might have thought it was a CSRF attack.

So any of the solutions would work for this problem:

• Add hot: false to your webpack.config.js
module.exports = {
    devServer: {
        hot: false
    }
}
  • Add watch: false to your webpack config
module.exports = {
    watch: false
}
  • Use webpack-dev-server without the --hot flag

Ok. I hope that helps someone save some time. It stumped me and my friend, who graciously decided to help me debug, for a good long while.

Would love to know exactly why this happens, but I’m also just happy with knowing the fix!

Thanks for sharing the solution with others. I’m gonna post it here so it’s more easy to find it:

The Solution

Disabling HMR in Webpack.

We were running with hot: true in our webpack config and it caused our app to re-render unnecessarily (even without extra saves while logging in). I’m still not sure exactly why this caused Auth0 to trip up, but it might make sense that since it re-rendered a few extra times when redirecting to the callback, that Auth0 might have thought it was a CSRF attack.

So any of the solutions would work for this problem:

• Add hot: false to your webpack.config.js
module.exports = {
    devServer: {
        hot: false
    }
}
  • Add watch: false to your webpack config
module.exports = {
    watch: false
}
  • Use webpack-dev-server without the --hot flag
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.