Simply getting a JWT in exchange for a user/pass

Hi @Civility,

Thanks for putting together that write up. It is super helpful for users looking for the same solution, and is something we appreciate greatly. I added links to it in the two topics you mentioned, hopefully we can move those out of the SEO spotlight and move this topic into it.

Let’s talk about the comments from the first thread you linked:

This is something that we talk about internally constantly. Finding a balance between a robust, enterprise solution that provides the scalability and extensibility required by large customers; and a simple, intuitive, and efficient solution for builders that want to get up and running ASAP, so they can focus on what matters to them.

Even further, we provide a security product. Some of our features (like the resource owner password grant) can be misused. This is why there are so many warnings and caveats about doing something as seemingly simple as exchanging a credential for a token. We steer customers (particularly ones who want a one-click solution) towards quickstarts and Universal Login.

Any specific feedback you have on how we can further drive that vision forward is always appreciated.

I’ll try and address some of the other feedback you mention regarding the Community:

We don’t have an automatic closure for unanswered topics any longer. We did this for a period of time but have since stopped closing topics that have no responses.

Simply linking the OP will notify the user of your topic.

Old topics often get derailed. For example, the first one you posted very quickly went from a technical question about ROPG to a critique of the general state of Auth0. It is not productive for that topic, and should be a discussion started in a new thread or submitted to our feedback page if appropriate.

In my ideal world, all similar questions would exist in the same thread, but this just simply doesn’t happen. Thread are constantly hijacked as a way to get more eyes on a question by sending out notifications to all users. Dealing with many short threads is much easier than a few less threads with no clear focus.

We will consider this feedback in our team weekly meeting.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. We appreciate the time you took to go through it.

Best,
Dan

1 Like