Auth0 Home Blog Docs

? Rule where I set user.fullName works in "Try Rule" but not when actually used

rules

I am playing with the Rules stuff and trying to add a “fullName” attribute to the user.
I set it as
user.fullName =
(user.user_metadata && user.user_metadata.fullName)
? user.user_metadata.fullName
: user.email;

this seems to work when I try the rule, but when I log into the app and it runs, the “fullName” property is not there. Is there a trick to getting this to work?

I double-checked that the “fullName” field is defined in the user_metadata I am logging in with…

thanks!

Can you please clarify where you expect to see the fullName attribute, and where it isn’t appearing? Without knowing this, I’m assuming you want this attribute as a claim in the id_token, for you to use in your frontend. If so, you need to add it to the id_token as a namespaced claim, outlined here:

https://auth0.com/docs/api-auth/tutorials/adoption/scope-custom-claims

I had just wanted to stick it on the user object - I thought I saw somewhere you could do that. But I also saw the stuff about using the namespace and just getting the all the metadata, which seemed to work.

I had just wanted to stick it on the user object - I thought I saw somewhere you could do that. But I also saw the stuff about using the namespace and just getting the all the metadata, which seemed to work.