Receive "Bad handshake" error when connect MSQL in Azure from custom database section

When I use Login script in database action scripts, MySQL cannot be connected.

My node code is as follows:

function login(userName, password, callback) {
  const mysql = require('mysql');
  const bcrypt = require('bcrypt');
  const azureCa = "...";

const connection = mysql.createConnection({
    host: '...',
    port: '3306',
    user: '...',
    password: '...',
    database: '...',
    ssl: {
      ca: azureCa,
      rejectUnauthorized: false
    },
    insecureAuth: true
  });

connection.connect();

const query = 'SELECT id, username, password FROM tb_user WHERE username = ?';

connection.query(query, [ userName ], function(err, results) {
    if (err) return callback(err);
    if (results.length === 0) return callback(new WrongUsernameOrPasswordError(userName));
    const user = results[0];

bcrypt.compare(password, user.password, function(err, isValid) {
      if (err || !isValid) return callback(err || new WrongUsernameOrPasswordError(user));

return callback(null, {
        user_id: user.id,
        username: user.username
      });
    });
  });
}

Error returned:

ER_HANDSHAKE_ERROR: Bad handshake

Do I need to add any configuration or do some action to solve this problem?

Hi @tianjun.zhou,

It looks like another user solved a similar issue by hardcoding the cert. Here is the related topic with more info:

Hi @dan.woda ,
Thank you for your reply. However, the code I showed above has already hardcoded the cert according to the solution of issue provided by you, but it still reports an error: bad handshake.

Can you please provide an example (scrubbed of sensitive info) of the formatting you are using for the cert?

“-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\nMIIDrzCCApegAwIBAgIQCDvgVpBCRrGhdWrJWZHHSjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADBh\n…\nCAUw7C29C79Fv1C5qfPrmAESrciIxpg0X40KPMbp1ZWVbd4=\n-----END CERTIFICATE-----\n”

Have you tried connecting to your DB from a node app? That can help us narrow this to the MySQL server config or the Auth0 Custom DB script.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.