Passwordless email - how to get first/last name?

I’ve set up a passwordless email connection (OTP, not magic link). When a user signs up/in, the resulting user info has the following

{
sub: “email|…”,
nickname: {first part of email before the @},
name: {user’s email},
picture: {gravatar link to placeholder avatar image},
email: {user’s email},
email_verified: true,
}

I have a couple questions:

1. Is there any way to get a more useful name from a passwordless email connection?
  2. Is there any way to get family_name/given_name from a passwordless email connection?
  3. What is the logic for the placeholder avatar image? It’s two initials but the second one seems somewhat random. e.g. ian@viribenefits.com gives IA

Hi @igillis

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

The passwordless email connection is minimalistic in terms of information collected, focusing mainly on the user’s email for identification. As a result, it’s not designed to gather more complex user profile data like family_name or given_name . It is intended for situations where you want to reduce friction in the signup process to the absolute minimum.

If you want more information from the user you would need to force them to fill out the form (which you will use to update the user profile via Management API) after signing in with a passwordless connection/ or have them create a regular account.

In terms of the Avatar question, I need to check with the team, but based on your example, it looks like the 2 symbols from the nickname.

I hope it will help you.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Dawid

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.