Organisation Metadata max length

The organisation_metadata appears to function quite differently to users app_metadata. However, we had planned to use them similarly, as access information to store what features/modules the organisation has paid for and has access to. However the org_metadata appears to be quite restrictive in that it uses raw text instead of valid JSON and each slot has a very short character limit (255 characters).

Are there any plans in future for a less restrictive metadata field for organisations?

1 Like

Hi @diarmuid.byrne,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community!

I have just checked the organization metadata values using the Management API Get an Organization endpoint and did not find the same observations. The values are in JSON and not in raw text. Could you please clarify where and how you observe the raw text format?

My results showed:

{
  "id": "org_91aHlTqTBtIrzd1C",
  "name": "test-org",
  "display_name": "test-org",
  "metadata": {
    "test": "metadata"
  }
}

Currently, the 255 character limit enforced for the organization metadata cannot be changed, and there are no plans to increase the character limit. Moreover, the 255 character limit is a large number, could you please elaborate further on the KEY:VALUE pairs you are creating?

And are you currently exceeding this character limit?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

1 Like

Do you have a hard # of key-pair values that an organization can have?

1 Like

Hi @hsoto,

Thank you for your question.

An Organization can have up to 10 key-value pair metadata values. You can find this shown on your Auth0 Dashboard as well. See below for clarity:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Thanks Rueben!! Is there a way to increase the “10 metadata slots free” policy?

Hi @hsoto,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, there is no way to increase the 10 metadata slots. This is a fixed maximum and cannot be changed as described in our documentation here.

I hope this helps!

Thank you.

Hi there,

Why is there a limit on the number of metadata keys? Is there any plan to increase the limitation in the future?

1 Like

Hi @hayashi-ay,

Thanks for reaching out.

We currently have no plans in our roadmap to increase the Organization metadata pairs. Since metadata is abstract, one workaround we recommend is to nest additional metadata fields under an object.

This way, you could imitate having more than 10 properties.

If you have a moment, I would recommend creating a feedback request asking to increase the Organization metadata pairs.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,
Rueben

Thanks you for answering.

What exactly do you mean by nesting addition metadata fields?

Is my following understanding correct?

For example, if there are two key-value pairs name=hayashi-ay and email=hayashi-ay@gmail.com, one slot can be freed by put them together like info=hayashi-ay, hayashi-ay@gmail.com.

This workaround still have a certain limit of properties because each value field can only 255 chars.

Hi @hayashi-ay,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, your understanding is correct. And that is true that this workaround would still have certain limitations, such as the 255 character limit.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the recommended approach if you need more than 10 Organization metadata pairs.

I understand this may not be the answer you were expecting. But to circle back, I would encourage creating a feedback request for increasing the organization metadata pairs so that we can upvote the feedback, with higher upvotes leading to higher implementation priority.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can assist with.

Thanks,
Rueben

1 Like

Thanks. I posted a feedback request. Ability to store Organization Metadata in JSON format like app_metadata

1 Like