Newbie Confusion About Lock vs Auth0.js

Please excuse my newness and confusion. So I have a SPA (Angular 6) and I followed the quick start and I got that to work. So now I want to sign up a new user using the sign up tab on the nice login modal they give you, but I want a separate link for that so the user simply click the sign up link and they either choose Facebook, google or password authentication. So I figured I could use the sign up method. Well that just seems to take a user name/password option (I want the person to be able to sign up using facebook or google if they choose). So my question are?

1. What is the difference between Lock and the Auth0.js? Do you need both? Or is lock more full featured, and I use that instead of Auth0.js
  2. Can I make Auth0.js default to the sign up tab when you try to sign on. Can I hide the log in tab? I know the user want to sign up, no need to show them the other tab.
  3. Is there a quick start for lock?

I realize I need to read all the documentation, but it seems overwhelming to do some of the basic stuff I assume everyone is trying to do. I will make that effort, but I thought someone could clarify this for me.

Did find this Using Lock With auth0.js : Auth0.js v9 Reference

Did you ever figure this out? I have read the docs but still find old outdated examples. From what i think i know is that auth0-lock is for use with the universal login and passwordless. And auth0-js is for building your own UI & the universal login but without password? Would this be a correct assumption?

Also to speed up your loading times you can selectively import only the components you need from each module. For example import {passwordless) from auth0-lock.

Any insight here would be welcome.

Hey @Maccurt and @rishi!

No worries got you covered. I know that it sometimes can get you in a rabbit hole reading all those concept but if you wanna grasp the core difference between Lock and Auth0.js I highly suggest taking a look at this exact doc:

Let me know if that helps, otherwise will provide you with more elaborate description :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.