New Customer trying to authenticate with Firebase API using Auth0

I’m a new Auth0 customer. I’m trying to Authenticate the Firebase API using Auth0, similar to what is outlined here: Auth0

I understand the delegation has been deprecated for Javascript. The advice was to use a POST to /delegation. However it states that

This feature is disabled by default
for new tenants as of 8 June 2017.
Please see Client Grant Types for more
information.

https://auth0.com/docs/api/authentication?http#delegation

How do I get Firebase API to work with Auth0 as a new tenant when I can’t use the “urn:ietf:params:oauth:grant-type:jwt-bearer” grant-type?

Update

I found all of these that use the deprecated delegate and don’t work for new Auth0 customers, is this correct?

That is everything in the Addon API except WS-FED.

For existing customers it’s still possible to use Auth0.js v7 or direct HTTP calls in order to use delegation; this is required for compatibility reasons as otherwise it would be a breaking change.

However, for new customers the delegation flows were disabled as the goal is to move to flows that are aligned with the API Authorization and OIDC compliance feature set. This means new customers currently don’t have the option to use delegation which is a gap that is identified and that we aim to address so that the same requirements unlocked by delegation can be met using flows aligned with the new feature set. However, at this time I don’t have any definitive timeline to share in relation to that availability.

In conclusion, existing customer still have delegation available in order to not break them and they are still able to use it for scenarios such as the one you mentioned. This will allow them to perform gradual migration to the new flows. For new customers it has been disabled so that they don’t take a dependency on something that will be discontinued it its exact current form. Most of the documentation already calls the attention to situations such as this one, however, the page you mention does not do so; I asked this to be reviewed in order to reduce future confusion.

Update: with regards to your update, delegation is indeed currently used for most of the addons so the constraint applies also to other addons that depend on delegation. As an additional note, both the WS-FED and SAML2 addons should not be affected by this.

I will update my answer to take in consideration the updated follow-up.

So are you saying that with new accounts there is no way to use Auth0 for Firebase authentication?

this needs to be fixed

Almost a month later… where’s the solution? Or does Auth0 just not support Firebase anymore?

i wrote this solution as a possible work around https://medium.com/@d3l33t/firebase-and-auth0-v8-from-legacy-v7-delegation-b51dcf1b6a4a

using @nikko blog post as inspiration, I came up with solution using Firebase cloud functions generating custom token. Posted it here: No way to delegate Firebase token with v8 web SDK. - Auth0 Community

@jmangelo Any update? Kind of a big feature to go AWOL. Not having this feature removes the majority of the reasons I had for using Auth0 and so now I’m working on finding an alternate provider. Confused why you removed the one feature before having the replacement ready to go.

So are you saying that with new accounts there is no way to use Auth0 for Firebase authentication?

@jmangelo Any update? Kind of a big feature to go AWOL. Not having this feature removes the majority of the reasons I had for using Auth0 and so now I’m working on finding an alternate provider. Confused why you removed the one feature before having the replacement ready to go.

I wish I’d found this post three days ago before banging my head against a brick wall. Why is this not made clear upfront? If you don’t support Firebase then stop pretending you do and wasting people time. I guess with that $30mil investment you just got you’re not to worried about attracting paying customers any more.

I wish I’d found this post three days ago before banging my head against a brick wall. Why is this not made clear upfront? If you don’t support Firebase then stop pretending you do and wasting people time. I guess with that $30mil investment you just got you’re not to worried about attracting paying customers any more.

What documentation pages gave you the wrong impression? We can’t remove them entirely because for existing customers this is still supported and they may need to use the documentation for reference, however, we can add more visual warning about this in any pages that still don’t have the warning.

So are you saying that new version of Auth0 (v8) cannot use Firebase in it current setup? And there is no way to get it going for new customers.

So are you saying that new version of Auth0 (v8) cannot use Firebase in it current setup? And there is no way to get it going for new customers.

There’s no built-in support for that yet in the new flows; it’s possible to use Firebase but you would have some additional implementation on your side. Check the comments by Adam above.

I posted a solution I came up with over the weekend using Firebase cloud functions, maybe it will point you in the right direction:
http://community.auth0.com/questions/3753/no-way-to-delegate-firebase-token-with-v8-web-sdk