Maybe I'm crazy - no longer able to store rule settings (config) > 255 chars?

We have an Enterprise account (US) and for ‘a while’ now I’ve stored an access_token in a rule setting value (a config value) for use in one of our rules (it calls out to an external API). This token has a length of ~ 800 chars. Starting yesterday, I now see this error when I try to store it (I was setting up a new development tenant): “Payload validation error: ‘String is too long (NNN chars), maximum 255’ on property value…”. I’ve search Auth0 doco and can’t find this stated as a limit. Perhaps it’s there and I am missing it, my apologies if so. Is this a new limit?

That limit is documented for the Management API v2 endpoint (which is relatively new), but I’m unsure about what should be happening through dashboard which was where I reproduced the situation. I’ll give an update later after having more information.

I have some additional information; so the limit was introduced as part of the new API 2 endpoint which is new so there was no follow-up in terms of actions to be taken for breaking changes as it technically was not a breaking change. However, the dashboard (within an unrelated change) was updated to use the new endpoint and the part about the API 2 endpoint not being compatible was missed. Based on the information I have the behavior in the dashboard will be updated to what it was before (this depends on reverting the change plus the deployment pipeline so it may still take some time).

Meanwhile if this is blocking it’s possible to use the API v1 endpoints mentioned here. I’m doing some tests to find out more about the expectations on those endpoints.

It seems to use the API v1 you would have to perform a GET /api/rules-configs to get them all, which would return something like:

{
	"vars": {
		"Key1": "2.0$9ce63e06d55d361c9e022d2346....{encrypted}"
	}
}

and then do POST /api/rules-configs with what you got from the GET plus bareVars:

{	
 "vars": {
		"Key1": "2.0$9ce63e06d55d361c9....{encrypted}"
	},
	"bareVars": {
		"Key2": "{not_encrypted_value}"
	}
}

The above would add Key2 or replace the value if Key2 already existed in vars.

Thanks @jmangelo that is all helpful info.

Thanks @jmangelo that is all helpful info.