Interested in Auth0 supporting "Modern Auth" for Office 365

We are using the custom external SMTP email provider that is connecting to our Office365. Microsoft is moving forward with only supporting modern authentication. How can we get this SMTP connection to support “modern auth”?

3 Likes

Hi @reggie.richard

Welcome to the Auth0 Community, it’s great to have you here.

Our product teams are aware of this and we do plan to support Microsoft’s “modern auth” but we do not have any ETA yet as to when it will become available as it is currently in backlog status.

Per Microsoft’s documentation, it seems that “SMTP AUTH will still be available when Basic authentication is permanently disabled on October 1, 2022.”, please see this doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online#impact-to-messaging-protocols-and-existing-applications

Warm regards.

3 Likes

We are also in need of Modern Auth in order to move fully to Office 365 support. Is there an ETA on this feature yet?

3 Likes

Our email stopped working this morning when MS flipped the “No Basic Auth for You” switch.

Took us a while to flip it back on.

7/28 - 10/1 is 65 days away.

1 Like

SMTP Auth is available but cannot be configured in the Auth0 control panel as it stands today. This is what the original Poster was inquiring about.

It is now 64 days until we no longer can use Auth0.

1 Like

Any update on the timeline for this feature? I work for a paying customer that is interested in this feature.

1 Like

I’ll second the request for timelines for this capability. We’re about to start a new Auth0 project and we assumed O365 would be a viable email option. We need to determine whether to wait for “modern auth” support or pivot to another email provider.

1 Like

Hi,

We also facing this situation now. Can we get an answer. Microsoft will no longer support this option as of 1st-January-2023.

1 Like

Can you suggest an alternative to auth0 for Microsoft 365 integration?

1 Like

@SaqibHussain - Has there been any progress towards Auth0 supporting the Modern Authentication feature from Microsoft?
Any ETA?

Hi @reggie.richard

Thanks for getting back in touch.

There is no further update as of now other than we are currently evaluating the support of Modern Auth, I believe our docs have been updated about this here https://auth0.com/docs/customize/email/smtp-email-providers/configure-custom-external-smtp-email-provider providing feedback on this subject helps our product teams gauge demand and amend priorities accordingly.

Do let me know if you need anything further.

Warm regards.

1 Like

For everyone who commented on this help article, please also go to the feedback articles for this topic and vote for them.

Auth0 supporting “Modern Auth” for Office 365

Voted

Add Modern Auth support for custom SMTP Servers

Might also be a good idea to create your own feature request for the same topic using the feedback category in Auth0 community. Auth0: Secure access for everyone. But not just anyone.
Enterprise customers may also reach out to their Technical Account Manager to provide feedback to the product team. - email address should be tam@auth0.com

1 Like

Is there a solution for this yet?

Hi @SaqibHussain we are an enterprise customer and this question has come up today, could you advise if this is something planned on the Roadmap for Okta/Auth0. If this is under NDA please contact me directly. Thank you

Thanks for getting in touch @mathew_vesely :slight_smile:

I’m pleased to say that Modern Authentication for Microsoft Outlook/365 and Azure Communication Service is currently being beta’d privately so we’re making good progress. Feel free to DM me your full tenant name if you’re interested in taking part, there are a limited number of spaces so I can put you forward if you wish and see what happens.

Warm regards.

2 Likes

Hi @SaqibHussain , I have been testing this with @mathew_vesely and it’s looking good so far. I see that the documentation is now on the Auth0 site. Is this product still Beta or is it now released? We are just planning some go live activities and need to tick the boxes on release date.
Regards,
Rob

Hi @rob_holtham

Welcome to the Auth0 Community.

Given the documentation is now live the functionality is now GA so there won’t be any components being beta’d, therefore you should be good to go in prod environments. I have asked the same question to the team so if they respond with anything different I will let you know.

Warm regards.

1 Like

@rob_holtham and @SaqibHussain -

Which documentation are you now following that indicates how to use modern auth login for Office 365 connection from Auth0?

Hi @reggie.richard we were following this document

worth noting that implementing this does not restrict which email is allowed to be used as the sender. To restrict the application to specific senders you need to follow this Limiting application permissions to specific Exchange Online mailboxes - Microsoft Graph | Microsoft Learn

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.