I have a jwt from an external source. Can I use it to auth to Auth0 so I can then authenticate to another application?

Hi community,

I have a friend that is working with a portal. Users authenticate to the portal using separate IdP. Once the user is authenticated and in the portal, the portal generates a JWT that gets sent to authorize the user to a 3rd party application.

The 3rd party application is changing and the new version requires an OIDC IdP to authenticate to the 3rd party application. Therefore, just having the JWT and authorizing won’t work anymore.

I’m trying to figure out for my friend if it’s possible to send the JWT to Auth0, and then have Auth0 handle the OIDC connection to the 3rd party application. The thing I can’t figure out is how to set up Auth0 to consume the existing JWT and authorize the user to Auth0.

I’ve looked at the custom social integration, and I’ve been trying to think through how to use an app and connect two apps. But I can’t seem to get past the fact that the JWT is Auth0 created vs created outside of Auth0 but able to get in and be forwarded to the final destination.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff G

1 Like