How to update a user's Name through Management API when passkeys are enabled?

When trying to update the username via the management API, I get the error about requiring the username for database connections. However, this cannot be set because it needs to be disabled for passkeys. The Name can be changed via the dashboard, but how do I update this value through the API?

Hey there @jdbahnick !

I am a little confused what attribute you are specifically looking to update - You mention both name and username. You should be able to update the name of the user (same as email by default) in the dashboard and using the Management API. The username on the other hand will throw the error you’re seeing (Cannot set username for connection without requires_username or attributes) - Are you looking to update the username or name? I do see how there may be an issue under the following circumstances:

• A database connection at one time required a username but has since had passkeys enabled.
  • A user that was created prior to passkeys being enabled has a username and you go to update to it via the Management API you’ll get the error above.

Can you clarify your specific issue?

Thanks!

My apologies for the confusion. I was confused as well since the record I was viewing in the dashboard had a Name field but no username to be found. I didn’t know if there was some kind of inconsistencies going on with field namings.

• A user that was created prior to passkeys being enabled has a username and you go to update to it via the Management API you’ll get the error above.

I viewed an older record prior to passkeys being enabled and there was a username present. In a record created post passkeys being enabled, there is no username. However, since I didn’t see this documented anywhere, I was confused.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.

1 Like

Gotcha, that makes sense - It’s definitely a bit confusing! Happy to help and thanks for marking as solution :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.