Auth0 Home Blog Docs

How to renew identity provider (Azure AD) access token?

refresh-tokens
azure-ad
access-token
renew

With v2 endpoint GET /api/v2/users/{id} we can retrieve the user with the access/refresh token issued by Microsoft AAD. But the access_token expires after some time (~1 hour).

Is there anyway I can renew that token through Auth0? I have the refresh token, but I cannot renew it through my app since it is a SPA and I will need the client id and client secret to renew to token.

To my knowledge, only a full re-authentication by the user would renew that access token. Having said that the process to obtain those access and refresh tokens already implies that you don’t do it through a public client as those types of client won’t also be able to correctly use client credentials to get a Management API token to call the users endpoint with the correct scopes.

The recommended approach would be to leverage the refresh token and refresh the access token from a suitable client application. For example, if your SPA already talks to a properly authorized API, that API can broker this process and act as a non-interactive client application with regards to Auth0. This would allow the API to obtain the refresh token and also use the associated client secret to perform the renewal.

Thank you for your respond. That is what I was thinking, but before implementing that, I wanted to check if there is any solution in auth0 side.
Thank you

Thank you for your respond. That is what I was thinking, but before implementing that, I wanted to check if there is any solution in auth0 side.
Thank you