How to import WordPress Users as JSON to auth0

So I’m following the guide : Troubleshoot Login by Auth0 WordPress Plugin
In this section it says: “Initially, your users will have to reset their passwords when logging in using Auth0 because there is no way for Auth0 to decrypt the WordPress passwords during migration”
That’s fine and all if it prompts the user to reset their password but I can’t seem to trigger this promt
I have uploaded a JSON file with the following fields and the batch import seemed to go fine
email email_verified nickname given_name family_name name
But as I never uploaded a password hash shouldnt I get a prompt to reset my password when I attempt to login using one of these accounts?

I thought maybe I would need to actually specify a fake PasswordHash in the bulk import but then I get this error. Error in passwordHash property - String does not match pattern ^$2[ab]?$10+$[./A-Za-z0-9]{53}$:

I also would think that help topic would greatly benefit from disclosing the fact that User Migrations in Auth0 with Wordpress is a feature requiring the Enterprise plan for which I can’t even begin to see pricing info!

We have less than 100 users so that plan wouldn’t ever reap the benefits

Hi @daniel10 - Welcome to Auth0 community!

The easiest way to migrate Wordpress users would be to use the custom DB option, but yes, you can use the bulk-import option as well and from what I am seeing in our documentation, you should now (as of July 2020), be able to upload hashed passwords as well - “Auth0 now supports importing hashed passwords by specifying a custom password hash in the import schema. The Import & Export Users documentation contains details on how to format password hashes for import. The bulk importer supports several standard common hashing algorithms.” - See: https://auth0.com/blog/technical-strategies-for-migrating-users-to-auth0/

During the bulk import process, you can update the custom_password_hash if the user did not login using the initially imported custom_password_hash . For example, you can submit the below JSON twice to the /api/v2/jobs/users-imports endpoint with different values for custom_password_hash . On the second submit, send the upsert flag to true .

[ { "user_id": "2000", "email": "[examplecouser20@gmail.com](mailto:examplecouser20@gmail.com)", "given_name": "ExampleCo User", "name" : "ExampleCoUser20", "custom_password_hash": { "algorithm": "bcrypt", "hash": { "value": "$2a$10$aHF7mbpWT6tZ7PJVtwtjNelaKbszikcYBCB2jibvbFcGFmOsu/s4K" } } } ]

You can use this link to generate bcrypt password hashes: Bcrypt Encrypt - Bcrypt Hash Generator - Online - Browserling Web Developer Tools.

Also, to address you concern - AFAIK, Wordpress user migration doesn’t require an Enterprise plan - where did you see this?

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Hi @ruchi,
I’m kind of reviving the topic cause I’m intersted in it as of know.
The Authentication Custom Database feature of Auth0, which is an essential part of setting up migration process ( using Login with Auth plugin ) is an Enterprise level feature. So the whole process of migration is due to this fact, an enterprise level feature.

Is there any other way of setting up migration, without the custom database feature?

Best!