Get id token from identity provider

Hi,

I’m using Auth0 with an Enterprise OIDC connection with Okta. I’ve been able to implement the authentication with PKCE, and I am able to get the ID Token, however, the ID Token I’m getting is the one generated by Auth0, I need to get the ID Token generated by Okta directly. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @nelio

I don’t think there is a way to get the ID token - why do you need it?
Auth0 consumes the ID token and puts the info in the Auth0 profile, where the info is available to you.

John

1 Like

Hi @john.gateley, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. I am trying to make a request to a 3rd party API that uses the Okta App as their Idp and validate the user info through the Okta generated id token. Would it be possible to attach that token to the Auth0 id token using a custom rule? And in case that isn’t possible either, would it be possible to get the Okta access token somehow? I’ve been looking at how to get the Idp access token and none of the methods described in all the docs seem to work.

Hi @nelio

I think you need the access token, not the ID token.

One approach would be to develop a 3rd party app for your 3rd party API, that redirects to Okta to get the access token. This sounds like the best approach.

You can get an access token from Okta as you are trying, but it probably will be the wrong audience for the 3rd party API

John

1 Like

Hi @john.gateley
Was going through a blog about making auth0 and firebase work together. for keeping the firestore secured on the backend, authentication through firebase auth is a must. for that there’s a method of createCustomToken(token) signInWithCustomToken(token) for signing in firebase. and that token is the id_token provided by auth0 while authenticating via it.
The blog instructed to get that id_token. So how do you get that?

Thanks, help would be highly appreciated