Error handling in the PHP SDK

The PHP SDK examples and quickstarts don’t mention anything about error handling.

There are several points where I assume errors could be thrown or returned which need to be handled. I imagine these would include things like:

• $auth0->checkCredentials()
  • $auth0->login()
  • $auth0->exchange()

Is there anywhere we can read more about error handling practices in the PHP SDK?

Hi @irridium :wave: Information about these exceptions should be automatically outlined as method hints in your IDE. If you are using an IDE that doesn’t support hints, you’ll need to reference the method block comments, where these potential exceptions are described.

For example, for login(): auth0-PHP/Auth0Interface.php at main · auth0/auth0-PHP · GitHub
And for exchange(): auth0-PHP/Auth0Interface.php at main · auth0/auth0-PHP · GitHub

getCredentials() never raises an exception. It returns null when a user is not authenticated; otherwise, an object is returned that represents the user issuing the request.

1 Like

Thank you for that.

What about more general best practices, like handling unexpected responses which aren’t necessarily errors/exceptions? Or cases such as when users selectively decline permissions while logging in?

Is there some documentation which outlines those kind of situations, either specifically within the PHP SDK or just in general?

Basically it would be very useful to know that my code can handle all eventualities and there doesn’t seem to be a single point of documentation which outlines them all.

What about more general best practices, like handling unexpected responses which aren’t necessarily errors/exceptions?

All of the potential exceptions are documented in the method hints. There really aren’t any circumstances in which unexpected responses would occur. Still, you can always analyze the PSR-7 ResponseMessage returned by any of the API methods to evaluate the status code and content body. But again, that really should never be necessary.

Or cases such as when users selectively decline permissions while logging in?

You can always evaluate what roles the current user has authenticated with using the getAccessTokenScope() method, or from the accessTokenScope property of the object returned by the getCredentials() method.

There really aren’t any other circumstances I can think of offering advice on outside the ones documented/mentioned. It just really isn’t possible for such circumstances to occur. If you have any specific areas of concern about exceptions or unexpected responses you’ve identified, I’d be happy to go over those with you.

Enable error reporting in your PHP script using the error_reporting and ini_set functions.
Use try-catch blocks to catch exceptions thrown by the SDK.

try {
    // Code that uses the PHP SDK
} catch (OpenAIException $e) {
    // Handle the exception
    echo 'Error: ' . $e->getMessage();
}

try this.