Auth0 PHP SDK Missing code $auth0->exchange()

SDK: auth0-php
SDK Version: ^8.0
Platform Version: PHP 8.0

I was going along the quick start for setting up the SDK in order to apply a Discord authenticator to my PHP site. For now, though, I was simply setting up an empty file in accordance with the guide.
I do get the authentication through, but once I return with the callback I do get the following error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught Auth0\SDK\Exception\StateException: Missing code in .../vendor/auth0/auth0-php/src/Exception/StateException.php:30
Stack trace: #0 ../vendor/auth0/auth0-php/src/Auth0.php(317): Auth0\SDK\Exception\StateException::missingCode() #1 ../user2.php(69): Auth0\SDK\Auth0->exchange('http://127.0.0....')

Still, I followed the guide from start to finish. I even copy-pasted the code to make sure I didnā€™t make any typos.

• Code Snippets/Error Messages/Supporting Details/Screenshots:

As far as I could see, the issue comes in my ROUTE_URL_CALLBACK that I defined earlier.
I checked the data and naming but all seem to be correct.

Hi @JoeyJaySWE,

A ā€˜missing codeā€™ error occurs when the ?code parameter was not returned or is not accessible to your applicationā€™s callback from the authentication flow, for whatever reason. From your callback page, can you check what parameters your user is being returned to your application in the URL with?

• You should have ?code=ā€¦ and ?state=ā€¦ query parameters in your callback URL after a successful authentication flow.
  • If there is an ?error parameter present instead, that may give you a hint as to whatā€™s going wrong.
  • From your Auth0 Dashboard, check your logs and ensure the authentication flow is actually going through successfully.
1 Like

Turns out it didnā€™t go through properly.
I get a failed login attempt with ā€œinvalid_requestā€.
I still managed to get the Discord connection showing and I get to the stage where it finds my account and I can press Authorize, but once I do it fails.
I canā€™t seem to find any mentioning of what has failed, I only got a parameter saying invalid_request and a state in hexadecimal.

Anything unusual in your Auth0 dashboard logs? Can find them under Monitoring > Logs on the sidebar

1 Like