Email-only signup, followed by full signup after verification

I’d like to put an “Enter your email to sign up” control on my website home page, which would then show a “check your email” message. The user would go to their email, click the link, and it would take them to a larger signup page that would ask them for their name, company, the password they want to use, etc. Only users with verified emails would get to the second signup page, and only users that had filled out both pages would get into the app. Is this possible?

(I’m sure this question has been asked before, but I didn’t see it in the FAQ and I’m not even sure what terms to search for.)

Hi @ccleve and welcome to the Auth0 Community! We’re happy to have you :cowboy_hat_face:

I think we can get pretty close to this use-case, but let me try and break it down below.

This aspect may be tricky from an Auth0 perspective because at this point we have no idea who those users are. Something to possibly consider is maybe that ‘Enter your email to sign up’ message triggers a mechanism that calls the Management API and creates a User with a temporary password. Here’s some further documentation (not quite your use-case) but a number of the steps could be similar.

Alternatively, this part of the flow could simply be handled by your application which would still trigger an email event and the link supplied in the email would redirect you to your login page.

Depending on how you created the User, you could use our Universal login page to gather further information using additional fields for the user to fill out. Additionally here’s our resource on progressive profiling which may offer some ideas on collecting this data as well:

Depending on your implementation some of this could be handled with either Hooks or Rules to modify the user’s login flow (either by denying access to the app or whitelisting their entry).

Hope this information gets you a solid start in architecting out your use-case (apologies that the response is a bit broad).

Best,
Colin

1 Like

Hi @ccleve,

We are currently seeking feedback to improve our User Invitation flow. If you have a moment, please take a second to checkout this feedback opportunity with one of product managers.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.