Disable social signup still sending welcome email

Hi,
I disabled social signup and it indeed works, but while blocking the signup it still send a welcome email.
Any solution to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Alex

Hey there @alexander1, welcome to Auth0’s Community!

To confirm what you are asking is you are wanting a wait to disable the welcome email to all new sign ups?

Thanks!

1. I want to receive “Welcome email”.
  2. I want the “Disable social signups” rule.
  3. I don’t want to receive Welcome email when a user tries to signup through social signup (and of course fails because of the rule).
1 Like

Understood, so you only want to allow users to login with Social if they’re already an existing user and have linked their social account with their database user but not otherwise.

One thing about the “Disable social signups”: it’s actually a bit misleading the way it’s named. While this Rule blocks the authentication, it does create the user though (and thus sends out a Welcome email).
Actually, this Rule should be renamed to “Disable social authentication for users with only a social connection”.
(The Rules engine comes into play at a later stage than the actual user persistence of a signup within Auth0. )

So, to really block something during signup, this would usually be something for the pre-user registration hook, however, these don’t get triggered for social connections.

So, right now I don’t have an out-of-the-box solution for this at the moment, other than: disable the standard Welcome email mechanism and send it out via your own logic from within a Rule (for users that authenticate for the first time, which you could fetch in a Rule via context.stats.logins_count.

Got it, thanks for the answer.
But is it possible to send the welcome email that been styled via auth0 template, through others means? for example the rule you talked about?

There is a way to fetch the email template as well as the email provider configuration via Management API

but I don’t see an endpoint that does the delivery (i.e. by providing userId, template and provider). So this combination of it all would need to be done via custom logic in i.e. a Rule.

Such mentioned endpoint would be nice to have though, I will take this internally to add as an idea/proposal to the product team.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.