Auth0 and local development database

We are currently trying Auth0 for our new app and we are currently facing a small issue… That could actually be big :smiley:

We work on the app with a local K8s Cluster with Skaffold. Our app will have Tenant (not a Auth0 tenant) and Customer. Both will be referenced as Auth0 organization. For this “Organizations”, we will add users. All of this is stored in our local database and in Auth0 (our local database will store more info that are useless for auth such as address). The customerID, TenantID and UserID can be referenced in multiples entities in our system.

The problem comes as we are multiple developer working on the app, if dev X add a tenant, a customer or a user, it will, of course, not be available for other devs in their local database. Same problem happen for update, delete…

Is there a workaround for this ? My first though was:

• putting everything in Auth0, store nothing in our local DB. This still cause a problem for tenant, customer and user that are referenced in other entities…
  • rent a database in the cloud for dev stage (same database for all developper), a little bit dirty and unpractical if someone start migration on his branch…

Does someone faced this issue already ? I would love to hear if someone found a way to solve this.

Best

Hi @sebundefined,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand that you have questions related to databases in development.

Yes. For this scenario, I recommend using multiple Auth0 Custom Databases to be the global store for each of the local databases. This way, your developers can view each other’s local database through the Auth0 Custom Database connections.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.