Anonymous login

does auth0 support a form of anonymous authentication? like firebase Autenticação anônima com o Firebase usando JavaScript, something I could attach scopes to if I have no logged in user?

Hello @xenoterracide,

I’m fairly certain there’s nothing like this in Auth0, though maybe one of the Auziros will correct me. You could maybe replicate it from within your app. E.g., maybe offer an anonymous access option which creates a shell account behind the scenes (with a fake email address and email_verified=true). Not sure if this would work in practice or not.

An aside, and I know I’m being a bit pedantic here, but I have to take exception with firebase’s statement:

These temporary anonymous accounts can be used to allow users who haven’t yet signed up to your app to work with data protected by security rules.

“data protected by security rules” that is available to anonymous users is data that is not protected by security rules! :slight_smile: I mean, I kinda get what they are trying to say, but it’s a bit weird to associate anonymous access with security.

Mark

1 Like

yeah, I don’t disagree, the real right answer for us is client credentials grant for that use case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.