Access user_metadata from a SPA

Hello,

I have been struggling a great deal to understand how to access the user_metadata.

The use case is as follows:

After a user has signed up to the system, we wish to retrieve additional information from the user. To solve this we have added a flag in the user_metadata in the “Pre User Registration” flow with the following value:

{
“post_registration_pending”: true
}

in order to create business logic in the frontend to display a form for the user to input further data not included in the sign up process.

From what I could read from the docs, I should be able to retrieve the metadata via the Management API at the endpoint "/api/v2/users/{id} from the client

I do however get 401 Unauthorised.

I could read from this post, that in order to use the Management API I needed ask Auth0 for an access token.

When I access the go the the Auth0 dashboard and go to Applications/API/Test I do get a successful access_token, however, when I try to do the same thing in the client I get a CORS error.

What can I do here? Am I even on the right track in terms of achieving what should be a pretty simple functionality?

Hi @gandersen,

Yes, while it is possible to access the Management API from a SPA, they are issued in the context of the user who is currently signed in to Auth0.

In this case, I recommend following our Get Management API Access Tokens for Single-Page Applications documentation for more information.

Alternatively, you could append the user_metadata as a custom claim to the access token.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.