Update picture

According to the docs, you can change the users picture by setting user.user_metadata.picture to the desired URL. This doesn’t seem to work for me. For the moment, I’m just using the user.user_metadata.picture field in the app for the picture, but it would be nice to see the same picture in the Auth0 dashboard.

I’ve also tried setting user.picture = user.user_metadata.picture in a rule, but this also does not work.

As mentioned in the doc:

…however you can use the
user_metadata picture attribute in
your front-end as desired.

The picture attribute set in user_metadata can be used in your applications to customize what picture you display; it does not change the picture that the dashboard displays. At the moment, the dashboard picture is restricted to the root picture attribute of the user profile, which is reserved for profile pictures from any social identity provider (e.g. Facebook, Google).

OK, thanks. Is the documentation wrong then, when is says setting user.user_metadata.picture will set user.picture?

It would be good if I can update the profile picture by updating the metadata through API and referencing the profile picture to stored location href

As mentioned in the doc:

…however you can use the

The picture attribute set in user_metadata can be used in your applications to customize what picture you display; it does not change the picture that the dashboard displays. At the moment, the dashboard picture is restricted to the root picture attribute of the user profile, which is reserved for profile pictures from any social identity provider (e.g. Facebook, Google).

As mentioned in the doc:

…however you can use the

please ignore this; troubleshooting why question appears in unanswered list while already having an answer

again, please ignore this; this is a comment that will be moved to an answer

OK, thanks. Is the documentation wrong then, when is says setting user.user_metadata.picture will set user.picture?

@jontycurtis I am looking into this - if incorrect, will get it updated. Thanks for pointing it out.

It would be good if I can update the profile picture by updating the metadata through API and referencing the profile picture to stored location href