How to disable avatar lookup?

I’m learning how to use Auth0 using the Javascript Quickstart:
https://auth0.com/docs/quickstart/spa/vanillajs/03-calling-an-api

I’m using Auth0 v8.7:
https://cdn.auth0.com/js/auth0/8.7/auth0.js

I noticed console errors related to avatar image lookups. Since I don’t want to use these images, a bit of Google searching led me to documentation that says to set “avatar:null” in options:

My problem is that I don’t know where this option is supposed to be set. I tried setting it in the webAuth initialization in app.js but that didn’t do anything:

var webAuth = new auth0.WebAuth({
    domain: AUTH0_DOMAIN,
    clientID: AUTH0_CLIENT_ID,
    redirectUri: AUTH0_CALLBACK_URL,
    responseType: 'token id_token',
    scope: 'openid profile read:messages',
    leeway: 60
  });

Anyone know where I need to put this option? Or is the problem that the example uses auth0.WebAuth and I need to use Auth0 Lock instead?

As an additional note, I added “leeway: 60” because the time on my PC wasn’t exactly in sync with the Auth0 servers even though Windows was supposed to be setting the clock via NTP. Since I expect users of any apps I write to be less concerned with time than I am, I figured a 60 second leeway was appropriate.

The quickstart section you linked to builds up on a previous login step that uses the Auth0.js webAuth.authorize method for authentication. This method redirects the user to the hosted login page configured for your account which by default leverages the Auth0 Lock control.

As you mentioned the avatar related settings are specific to Lock so you need to configure those settings in your hosted login page instead of directly within Auth0.js. For reference information on how to enable the customization of the hosted login page see the Hosted Login Page.

In conclusion, you should continue to use Auth0.js in the client application itself, but you’ll need to configure the Lock instance that gets shown in your hosted login page.

Thank you @jmangelo ! That helped a lot. I enabled the customized login page and added
to the Auth0Lock instance. I also set
languageDictionary = { title: “my title” };
to customize the displayed title.