Why awaiting loginWithRedirect?

This is more of a conceptual question. I’m very intrigued by this piece of code from the reference docs

document.getElementById('login').addEventListener('click', () => {
  auth0.loginWithRedirect({
    redirect_uri: 'http://localhost:3000/'
  }).then(token => {
    //logged in. you can get the user profile like this:
    auth0.getUser().then(user => {
      console.log(user);
    });
  });
});

However as per the library docs (and the method definition as well) loginWithRedirect returns Promise<void>. Is that code wrong?

Background:

I have followed the react quickstart and set up my app to work with loginWithPopup. All good so far.

However I wanted to test loginWithRedirect as well. My first step was to just replace one for another like this:

const loginWithPopup = async (params = {}) => {
    setPopupOpen(true);
    try {
     //  await auth0Client.loginWithPopup(params); // <---- original
      await auth0Client.loginWithRedirect(params); // <---- new
    } catch (error) {
      console.error(error);
    } finally {
      setPopupOpen(false);
    }
    const user = await auth0Client.getUser();
    setUser(user);
    setIsAuthenticated(true);
  };

Apparently that works, I can still log in etc.

But upon close inspection, two things occur:

1. the code after await auth0Client.loginWithRedirect(params) runs immediately (i.e., promise resolves)
  2. when the user is redirected, the app loses state, so that code doesn’t even matter really

I have no problem with that, since after logging in and being redirected back to the app, init() takes care of things smoothly.

Now comes the thread title. Why would I await a promise that immediately resolves void AND kills the app? The only reason I can think of is to catch Errors. Fair enough.

Am I missing something or is that sample code from the start of the post just wrong?

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. The await function runs imediatly before the social authentications finishes. This is causing handleRedirectCallback to fail since the page has not been loaded.

Have you solved the problem? I’m like 3 days stuck on that.