Why awaiting loginWithRedirect?

This is more of a conceptual question. I’m very intrigued by this piece of code from the reference docs

document.getElementById('login').addEventListener('click', () => {
  auth0.loginWithRedirect({
    redirect_uri: 'http://localhost:3000/'
  }).then(token => {
    //logged in. you can get the user profile like this:
    auth0.getUser().then(user => {
      console.log(user);
    });
  });
});

However as per the library docs (and the method definition as well) loginWithRedirect returns Promise<void>. Is that code wrong?

Background:

I have followed the react quickstart and set up my app to work with loginWithPopup. All good so far.

However I wanted to test loginWithRedirect as well. My first step was to just replace one for another like this:

const loginWithPopup = async (params = {}) => {
    setPopupOpen(true);
    try {
     //  await auth0Client.loginWithPopup(params); // <---- original
      await auth0Client.loginWithRedirect(params); // <---- new
    } catch (error) {
      console.error(error);
    } finally {
      setPopupOpen(false);
    }
    const user = await auth0Client.getUser();
    setUser(user);
    setIsAuthenticated(true);
  };

Apparently that works, I can still log in etc.

But upon close inspection, two things occur:

1. the code after await auth0Client.loginWithRedirect(params) runs immediately (i.e., promise resolves)
  2. when the user is redirected, the app loses state, so that code doesn’t even matter really

I have no problem with that, since after logging in and being redirected back to the app, init() takes care of things smoothly.

Now comes the thread title. Why would I await a promise that immediately resolves void AND kills the app? The only reason I can think of is to catch Errors. Fair enough.

Am I missing something or is that sample code from the start of the post just wrong?