Use Auth0 only for social logins + have already existing username+password login at the same time

Hi,

I am no developer, so apologies in advance for some stupid questions. I just want to understand the general possibilities before I go to my developers. Thanks!

We have web application that has our own username + password login and we already have users there. Active user has valid e-mail as username.
We want to enable users to log in via social media additionallty. Auth0 seems the be easiest to do so as we do not need to implement every social media separately.

1. Is it possible to use my own username + password with Auth0 social login methods at the same time?
  2. Does Auth0 need to know about my own login method something additionally? For example user has already account in our application (username = e-mail aadress) and now wants to use Google as additonal login method. We do not need to have a new account for that user, if the user already has same e-mail registrered in our application (via username + password). Does this solution needs to have the Auth0 “external database” option set up?
  3. Is it possible to use my own login page and just have social media icons what will open (or direct) to selected social media login. (so no need to have auth0 own loginpage inbetween) Does this just means we will use Auth0 API?

The biggest questionmark for me is how to use the already existing login info in our own application with social media logins via Auth0.

Thank you already in advance!

Hi @mihkel,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community.

I understand you need some clarification on your authentication flow with both Social and existing username/password logins. I would be glad to assist you.

Yes, it is possible to use both a Username-and-Password connection and Social logins, such as Google and Facebook. Note that Auth0 will need to be aware of the existence of these users, either through using a custom database with Auth0 or directly having these users already migrated into Auth0’s database.

Yes, in this scenario, you will want to use Auth0’s custom database option to be able to authenticate your end-users from your existing database.

Yes, it is possible. In this case, you will want to use embedded login and implement the Auth0 Lock.js library with your application. When using this approach, I recommend that you implement custom domains to prevent vulnerabilities involving Cross-Origin Authentication.

Next, to use ​social connections to authenticate, make sure you have the corresponding Social connections enabled by going to your Auth0Dashboard>Authentication>Social>Create Connection. Once these social connections are enabled, by default, the social identity provider icons will appear on the login page.

To recap, you have two options in handling your authentication flow:

1. Use your database with Auth0 CustomDB + Auth0 Social login + embedded login
  2. Migrate your users from your DB into Auth0’s DB + Auth0 Social login + embedded login

Please let me know if need further assistance, I would be happy to help

Thank you for the fast reply!

Now it is more clear, but I have some additional questions:

1. If we will go the with the option to migrate exciting username + password to Auth0, this means, that after migration to still have username + password, we will need to use the auth0 one, right?
    This means, that all authentication would be going through Auth0 after the migration.

Just looking the pricing plans and external database is enabled only starting from “Professional” plan. This would be a little overkill for our application at the moment, as we do not have so much users.

Hi @mihkel!

That’s correct. Once your users have migrated from your “legacy” database into Auth0, then Auth0 will handle those user credentials.

Given your concern with pricing and your limited users, then I would encourage you to consider the second option:

This would require at a minimum the Essentials plan, because of embedded login with custom domains.

Now, in this case, you can migrate your users by bulk importing them into Auth0 using the Management API v2.

Alternatively, you can use the Import/Export Extension to import your existing database users into Auth0.

By doing so, you will avoid having to configure and use a custom database connection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.