Universal Login page not showing friendly error message

I created a Pre User Registration action to create the new user in my app external database during the user signup and I have configured a few friendly error messages to improve UX:

const axios = require("axios")

/**
* Handler that will be called during the execution of a PreUserRegistration flow.
* @param {Event} event - Details about the context and user that is attempting to register.
* @param {PreUserRegistrationAPI} api - Interface whose methods can be used to change the behavior of the signup.
*/
exports.onExecutePreUserRegistration = async (event, api) => {
  const newBaseUser = {
    email: event.user.email,
    name: event.user.name,
    picture_uri: event.user.picture
  };

const response = await axios.post(`${event.secrets.ELVIE_API_URL}/api/users/create-user`, newBaseUser, {
    headers: {
      "Content-Type": "application/json",
      "X-API-Key": event.secrets.ELVIE_API_KEY
    } 
  });

if (response.status === 403) {
    api.access.deny("forbidden_api_access", "Forbidden access to the Elvie API. Please check if the API Key header is being sent.");
  }
  else if (response.status === 401) {
    api.access.deny("unauthorized_api_access", "Unauthorized access to the Elvie API. Please check if the API Key header is valid.");
  }
  else if (response.status === 400) {
    api.access.deny("user_already_exists", "An user with the specified email already exists");
  }
  else if (response.status !== 200) {
    api.access.deny("api_internal_error", "Elvie API internal error");
  }
};

However, when an error occurs, I’m getting an generic Extensibility error message:

The pre-user-registration API object documentation states that the userMessage may be presented directly in end-user interfaces. How can I make sure that the custom userMessage will be presented in my end-user interface?

Hi @rodrigo.bernardino,

If everything was working correctly, I would expect to see the string in one of the userMessages displayed in the signup prompt. I suspect something else in your pre-user registration action is throwing an error and causing the ‘extensibility error’ message.

You were correct, my action was not catching the axios error response correctly. This is the updated code:

const axios = require("axios")

/**
* Handler that will be called during the execution of a PreUserRegistration flow.
* @param {Event} event - Details about the context and user that is attempting to register.
* @param {PreUserRegistrationAPI} api - Interface whose methods can be used to change the behavior of the signup.
*/
exports.onExecutePreUserRegistration = async (event, api) => {
  const newBaseUser = {
    email: event.user.email,
    name: event.user.username,
    picture_uri: event.user.picture
  };
  try {
    await axios.post(`${event.secrets.ELVIE_API_URL}/api/users/create-user`, newBaseUser, {
      headers: {
        "Content-Type": "application/json",
        "X-API-Key": event.secrets.ELVIE_API_KEY
      } 
    });
  } catch (error) {
    if (error.response.status === 403) {
      api.access.deny("forbidden_api_access", "Forbidden access to the Elvie API. Please check if the API Key header is being sent.");
    }
    else if (error.response.status === 401) {
      api.access.deny("unauthorized_api_access", "Unauthorized access to the Elvie API. Please check if the API Key header is valid.");
    }
    else if (error.response.status === 400) {
      api.access.deny("user_already_exists", "An user with the specified email already exists");
    }
    else if (error.response.status !== 200) {
      api.access.deny("api_internal_error", "Elvie API internal error");
    }
  }
};

Also, I disabled this setting to have a full support for readable error messages during signup:
Tenant Settings → Advanced → Use a generic response in public signup API error message

1 Like

Great, thanks for posting an update!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.