Post user registration actions run after passwordless user login, even if user already exists

Hello,

I’m creating a duplicate of this post here because the other has not had a response from Auth0 staff at all. Not sure why, maybe the feedback category is monitored less or that post is just in the wrong place?

The issue I have experienced is the post user registration action runs after a passwordless user login, even if it’s not the first time they’ve logged in. My post user registration action creates a record in a database with a field storing the ID of the Auth0 user profile. There is a unique constraint on the value of this field in the database. When I log in with a previously logged in user there is evidence that the post user registration action runs because Auth0 monitoring logs the “Failed Post User Registration Hook” event which occurs because the unique constraint of the ID was violated and the database responds to the action runner with an error. This behaviour seems in contrary to the documentation (emphasis mine):

Actions Triggers: post-user-registration

The post-user-registration triggers runs after a user has been created for a Database or Passwordless connection.

Actions Triggers: post-user-registration

Hi @wing,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community!

I understand you’ve encountered a scenario with the Post User Registration Actions executing even after a passwordless user already exists and logs in.

This is a known bug and has been reported to our Engineering teams. At the moment, we are currently in a code freeze and anticipate lifting it in early 2022. Once we lift code freeze, you will see this issue resolved.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help.

Thank you.

Thanks for the response Rueben. Looking forward to seeing this resolved!

1 Like

Hi @rueben.tiow, are there any plans to fix this known bug? Thanks.

Hey there!

As this topic is related to Actions and Rules & Hooks are being deprecated soon in favor of Actions, I’m excited to let you know about our next Ask me Anything session in the Forum on Thursday, January 18 with the Rules, Hooks and Actions team on Rules & Hooks and why Actions matter! Submit your questions in the thread above and our esteemed product experts will provide written answers on January 18. Find out more about Rules & Hooks and why Actions matter! Can’t wait to see you there!

Learn more here!

Are there any updates on this?

Bumping this. We are also experiencing this bug. We use Passwordless authentication and are sending out a welcome email through Postmark in the Post User Registration action and it sends every time a user logs in.