Passport-Auth0 - New Strategy returns user profile but the app_metadata is not included

Hello,

I am working with Auth0 via the passport-auth0 library. I’ve successfully implemented this in other apps, but am running into a tricky problem.

I set up a new Auth0Strategy() and successfully retrieve the user profile. However, this profile object does not include the app_metadata as expected. My application has all of the metadata scopes enabled. I even tried to disable the scopes temporarily just to see if I get a new error but nothing changes.

I can see that the app_metadata is successfully stored on the user profile in the Auth0 interface. Is there some trick that I am missing? I have basically copied the configuration from my working applications.

After some testing, I was able to get the app_metadata in a postman request.

I also opened an issue on the passport-auth0 github, in case that is where the problem is.

Thanks!

Rory

1 Like

This is fixed!

The issue was that a new application I created would not expose the app_metadata without creating a Rule. The strange part is that the other apps are quite old and were grandfathered into this change.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.