Normalizing email addresses

We use email addresses as unique user identifiers, so we’d like to normalize them, mostly to keep users from confusing themselves or their co-workers. Since we can’t normalize the address that users enter before it is passed to Auth0, what normalization does Auth0 perform?

Presumably the domain part is lower-cased, as it’s case-insensitive. Usually, the part before the @ is lower-cased as well, though the RFC allows it to be case-sensitive. More importantly, there can be comments following a plus sign (or using parentheses?), and Google email addresses canonically remove dots.

That is, I’m most concerned with the guy who uses both JohnDoe@gmail.com and john.doe@google.com and doesn’t realize he’s using two addresses, because they wind up in the same inbox.

1 Like

Hi @DougNChannel I think @jmangelo explains the email case insensitivity quite clearly in his response here Creating a user converts email to lowercase - #2 by jmangelo Let us know if that helps.

@ashish The explanation is pretty clear, one thing I’d like to clarify is that if an email provider applies case sensitivity, we will now be unable to reach a user with uppercase characters in the local part of their address. Did you guys consider this case? Did you ever hear of this leading to problems?

Thanks!

hello I want to know what is normazlising an email?

Here’s what normalizing an email is: