Is it possible to define custom error messages on Universal Login?

I’m using the Classic Universal Login page on my website and I wanted to know if it’s possible to change the wording for error messages? One example is when a user tries to sign-up for an account with an email that already exists, it gives the error message “WE’RE SORRY, SOMETHING WENT WRONG WHEN ATTEMPTING TO SIGN UP.”. Can I change that error message to tell the user a more detailed response?

Hi @support7,

Yes its possible and you can customize these error messages. Please refer to following topic and let us know if it helps.

Custom error message using lock template in universal login not working

For this particular case, you are seeing generic response to protect against user registration enumeration attack. You can disable this feature in the tenant advanced settings and show more user friendly error message.

Use a Generic Response in Public Signup API Error Message : When enabled, errors generated while using the public signup API will return a generic response. This helps protect against user registration enumeration by preventing bad actors from being able to guess previously-registered email addresses or usernames from reading error response codes, such as user_exist

To customize other error message on classic login experience (Lock widget), you can provide languageDictionary options.

3 Likes

Let us know down the road if you have any questions regarding that!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.