HTTP header is larger than 10240 bytes | SDK Invalid State Laravel

Hi there,

I’ve experienced two issues on my php laravel website:

1. When deploying the website with vapor, I get the error message “HTTP header is larger than 10240 bytes.”. I have 10-19 cookies in use, even after removing them, logging out and stuff. Idk.

2. I always get the error message “Invalid state” from Auth0\SDK\Exception\StateException. Doesnt matter if in test environment or in deployed.

I think both of them are having issues with /logout, its something with the cookies/sessions not being deleted I guess?

How can I fix that?

Hey there!

In order to handle that most effectively can I ask you to raise it as a GitHub issue in our Laravel SDK repo:

so we can discuss it directly with the tool maintainers? Once you have a link to it please share it here so we can ping them. Thank you!

To address the “HTTP header is larger than 10240 bytes” error when deploying your Laravel website with Vapor, you can try modifying your application’s configuration to limit the size of the headers. In your config/vapor.php file, add the following line: 'headers' => ['max' => 8192],. Adjust the value (8192 in this example) as per your requirements. This should help resolve the issue related to large headers.

Regarding the “Invalid state” error from Auth0\SDK\Exception\StateException, it typically occurs when the state parameter used for authentication with Auth0 doesn’t match or is not provided correctly. Make sure you are passing the correct state parameter during authentication and verify that it is being passed back correctly in the callback or redirect URL. Double-check your implementation and ensure that the state parameter is properly managed throughout the authentication flow.

For both issues, clearing cookies and sessions related to authentication, especially during logout, can also be a helpful step to ensure a clean state.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that @croverwnorene8 !

Thank you for your answer!
I am using the Auth0 Laravel SDK for Logout, is there something not working in it? I didnt change anything.
I also do not have a vapor.php file. I only got a vapor.yml, in which I have put the memory the max it allowed me to. Still no fix.

And I dont know… the invalidstate error is odd. I am using the laravel package from auth0 and did everything there was in the quickstart guide. Why is this issue coming?

Hi @LozziStyle :wave:

What version of Laravel, the Laravel SDK, and PHP are you using specifically?

As @croverwnorene8 mentioned (thanks!), you’ll need to configure your server to allow larger header sizes. The SDK caches the user profile and necessary tokens to authenticate inside client-side cookies, so you sometimes need to increase the default server values to accommodate that. I’m not familiar with Vapor personally, but you can reach out to their support for guidance there.

An invalid state occurs when the SDK encounters an issue comparing anticipated cookies with what Auth0 returns after authenticating the user. When login() is called, a series of temporary cookies are stored on the client device. After authenticating with Auth0 and being returned to the application, during the exchange() call, the SDK checks that those cookies are present and match up with what was expected. An invalid state is thrown when they do not.

There could be any number of things interfering there:

• Browser settings or policies blocking cookies.
  • Mixing 127.0.0.1 and localhost (each is considered a uniquely different host, and therefore has separate browser cookie jars.)
  • Proxying web server software interfering with cookies (this is often the case with Apache and Nginx; make sure you up their cookie header limits if you’re using those.)

If your server is/has blocked cookies due to the noted header limitation, that has most likely resulted in a corrupted client-side cookie, which is causing the state failure. Resolve the header limitation issue first, clear out your client-side cookies, and give it another go, and things should work fine.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.