How to do long expiration time with passwordless?

Hey there @alexab

Let me circle back with our product team to see what’s the status on that. I’ll get back to you as sson as I have any updates!

2 Likes

Hey @alexab!

The only info I managed to get is that our product team is aware of the request and that we are working on a solution. For now I’m not able to disclose any dates or provide further info on that.

1 Like

Hi @konrad.sopala → that’s awesome news! Thank you for checking with the product team. Now we will just hope that it’s this year :sweat_smile:

If I get to know anything more any time in the future, I’ll let you know in this thread!

2 Likes

Just wanted to +10 on this (as I have before)

…and to let auth0 know this is one of the most voiced issues regarding auth0 within some SPA communities (e.g. JAM stack and Vue fans). The 3 day inactivity restriction was voiced already in 2017 and it’s sad to see that no actions have been taken thus far - simply vague promises of a brighter future. I’ve read from different threads (@bragma being included in many of them) that auth0 is holding out for a “quick fix” since it doesn’t align with the long-term plans.

It’s just sad that those long-term plans have to be achieved through disappointing your current users.

I do apologise for my bickering and I am aware of some suggested workaround (ie create a back-end for the potentially static SPA), but as @bragma has pointed out numerous times - it shouldn’t be the service’s consumer’s job to fill the gaps/pick up the slack of said service.

:disappointed:

1 Like

Hey there @ajv!

We as a developer community team in terms of such cases are your advocates to relay the constructive feedback you provide to appropriate engineering or product teams to get such fixes deployed or at least communicated what will happen further.

We’re doing our best in advocating for your needs but you need to keep in mind that possibly it’s not the only thing that disrupt our community developers work now. Our teams need to highly prioritize what they need to introduce or fix in order to help the biggest group of developer at certain moment.

I’m totally sorry for any inconvenience that you need to face but for now the only thing that we as developer community team can do is to constantly emphasize your needs and potentially get back with the info from our teams. We’re really doing our best in making your developer experience better!

I really appreciate constant feedback you share with us that I can relay to our product team and I’m once more terribly sorry that you need to face such struggles for now!

1 Like

Hi @ajv
after 1+ years working on a product using auth0, I have to say that the negative impact on my customers has been lower than expected. Browsers saving and sharing user credentials over different devices mitigated it I think.

Still, over years I’ve seen Auth0 move from a mostly token based solution to a mixed cookie/token, universal login page, silent auth, etc. Cookies are used for those nifty solutions and I honestly think it may be time to allow longer cookie expiration times.

Overall, what I thought might have been a major drawback is now much lower in my list of priority requests. Facts prove that customers can live with it and are engaged enough to not have to login every few days.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback and overview of your thing! I’ll try to also amplify it to appropriate teams!

Thanks for the update @konrad.sopala! This is a significant issue for me as it has caused opposition to my decision to go passwordless. People objected to passwordless as too burdensome and slow. But, my response was that it’s no big deal, you’d only have to do it once per device and you’d stay logged in as long as you used our product at least once a year. But, without this feature that is not possible.

I understand that there are other competing priorities, but I’d like to see 2 things:

• a monthly blog post on what feature changes were made that month
  • a public broad roadmap of upcoming features

I think that will help create more transparency.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @adamzr!

Thanks for reaching out with your thoughts!

In terms of bullet points I do agree that those are perfect value propositions highlighting transparency and we do evaluate them such options.

Thanks for putting +1 to it!

The public roadmap would be the best!

Hey!

As far as I know we do have plans for public roadmap it’s been actively evaluated but for know I cannot disclose any ETA.

Good news!!

(Although only for enterprise plans) seems the inactivity timeout can be bumped up to 100 days now :scream:

Are there any plans to also open this up for developer or developer pro plans? :pray:

1 Like

Yep I wanted to communicate that however as you mentioned it’s now only for enterprise customer no info so far for developer and developer pro tier.

@konrad.sopala I work for a non-profit that’s very cost sensitive. We really can’t afford an Enterprise plan. Please add this feature to all plans!

3 Likes

This decision is up to our product and engineering team. I’ll make sure to advocate for it!

4 Likes

Hello folks! I strongly encourage those of you with interest in long-lived sessions who do not have enterprise accounts to submit your feedback to our Product team using our Product Feedback form.

Some FAQ around why we occasionally will direct you to submit feedback in this manner is available in this topic: How do I submit Product feedback or feature requests?

Having feedback submitted that has additional context as well as your contact information associated helps Product immensely when determining what features to develop and what plan tiers to include.

When you submit the feedback, please include your tenant name and what plan you’re using and give some context around your use case. All feedback submitted is read by our Product team and mapped accordingly.

Those of us in other teams at Auth0 will certainly advocate on your behalf, but your own feedback given directly to our Product team is very greatly appreciated!

Hey @adamzr! Regarding the following:

I understand that there are other competing priorities, but I’d like to see 2 things:

• a monthly blog post on what feature changes were made that month
  • a public broad roadmap of upcoming features

I think that will help create more transparency.

We currently publish changes and updates in the Auth0 Changelog along with things like Dashboard notifications, customer emails, announcements in Community, and occasionally blog posts for larger feature releases. However, we totally hear you on the request for a more centralized (and potentially subscribable!) way to get these updates to you.

As @konrad.sopala mentioned, we’re currently discussing and iterating on plans for how to increase roadmap transparency! There are quite a few additional factors we need to take into serious consideration when tackling that kind of endeavor, but rest assured we’re actively working on it!

Regarding the suggestion for a blog post rundown, this is an interesting idea! We may be able to produce some content on a recurring basis that distills the changelog announcements for a certain period of time (potentially quarterly, as some months do not have items to report). The most appropriate format for this is currently being discussed; it could be on the blog, or in regular Announcements as Community topics.

Thanks for the suggestions! Please keep an eye out for associated announcements on this. (As this discussion has diverged from the subject of this topic, I will likely not update here, but we’ll create a new topic with any updates on this.)

Hey there everyone!

We decided that from time to time we’ll be giving you updates about our product roadmap. Here’s our Product Roadmap post regarding long-lived sessions:

http://community.auth0.com/t/long-lived-sessions-product-roadmap-launched/22879

Let our product team know what you think by providing feedback through our feedback site: