Getting production tokens for Management API

I intend to mostly rely on the users and roles portion of the Management API. I don’t intend to make calls against it all the time, but whenever a new user arrives in the system, I need to assign them a basic role, because my entire .NET API is on lockdown by default. My strategy is to encapsulate only the Management API functionality that I need into a service in my .NET API layer.

As I understand it, I need to fetch production machine-to-machine tokens in order to make calls against the Management API.

I have a private method in my service that looks like this:

async Task<JwtModel> FetchProductionAccessTokenForManagementAPI()
{
    var grantType = _Configuration["Auth0Management:GrantType"];
    var clientId = _Configuration["Auth0Management:ClientId"];
    var clientSecret = _Configuration["Auth0Management:ClientSecret"];

var data = new Dictionary<string, object> {
        {"grant_type", $"{grantType}"},
        {"client_id", $"%24%7B{clientId}%7D"}, // Ignore this ugly bit. Haven't dealt with encoding yet.
        {"client_secret", $"{clientSecret}"},
        {"audience", $"{_AuthBaseAddress}/api/v2"},
    };

var tokenService = RestService.For<IAuthManagementTokenService>(_AuthBaseAddress);

var token = await tokenService.GetToken(data);

return JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<JwtModel>(token);
}

This is called inside an Initialize() method:

async Task Initialize()
{
    var token = await FetchProductionAccessTokenForManagementAPI();

_ManagementApiClient = new ManagementApiClient(token.AccessToken, new Uri($"{_AuthBaseAddress}/api/v2"));
}

Before any call to the Manage API, I call Initialize() like this:

public async Task<User> GetUserById(string userId)
{
    await Intitialize();

var user = await _ManagementApiClient.Users.GetAsync(userId);
    return user;
}

Is calling the Initialize() method before each API call too verbose? Is it inappropriate to request a new token for each call? I don’t really want to deal with storing the tokens anywhere in my API layer, and my services are transient, so I don’t want to store it as a local property.

I suppose I could make my service a singleton, store the token in memory, re-use it when needed, and then get a new one if a Management API call returns a 401.

Thoughts on my strategy?

(None of that code above is tested yet. Just looking for concept feedback.)

I think I’ve answered my own question. I intend to use a singleton, so I’ll hold onto the token for as long as I can, and get a new one when I detect an expiration.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.