Very odd bug here. Primarily, we’re trying to switch from Active Directory (AD) authentication to Passwordless Email (PE). Leaving both turned on is a fine stop-gap as well.
I’ve tried hard refreshes and clearing cookies between each of these scenarios. We’re using
1.10.0. I have verified that the Client ID is correct.
First attempt was to disable AD and turn on PE for our app (which is a SPA). This led to the “no connections enabled for the client” error in the callback URL from the title of this post.
Next, I tried turning both on. In this case, it went back to just showing AD as before, but no passwordless option.
Finally, I tried switching back to the classic Universal Login. With only PE on, I receive a
404 for the
ssodata URL. With both on, I receive only the PE login. We’re using this last option because it is somewhat usable as a stop-gap, but obviously not ideal.