geterverSideProps in NextJS

Hi there, so I’m having a getServerSideProps function in my next.js page that runs asynchronously. Also I want to authenticate the page with auth0, but next.js isn’t letting me have multiple getServerSideProps in the same page, I also tried authenticating it in the pre-existing getServerSideProps and it isn’t working either.

I’ll appreciate any help I can get here

It’s important to note that Next.js only allows a single getServerSideProps function per page, which can make integrating multiple functionalities, such as authentication with Auth0 and fetching data asynchronously, a bit tricky. However, there are approaches you can take to address this issue. Here’s a general guideline to help you handle authentication with Auth0 while fetching data asynchronously in a Next.js page:

1. Combine Functionality in a Single getServerSideProps:

• You can combine the authentication logic and asynchronous data fetching within a single getServerSideProps function. This approach involves performing the authentication check and then fetching the required data before returning the props to the page component.
  2. Using a Higher-Order Function for Authentication:

• Implement a higher-order function that encapsulates the authentication logic and data fetching. This function can be invoked within a single getServerSideProps to handle both aspects without directly cluttering the main getServerSideProps function.
  3. Decoupling Authentication and Data Fetching:

• If combining the functionality within a single getServerSideProps becomes too complex, consider decoupling the authentication and data fetching logic. You can handle the authentication check separately and then fetch the data using different methods or hooks within the page component.
  4. Leverage Auth0 SDK and Hooks:

• Utilize the Auth0 SDK and its provided hooks, such as useUser and withPageAuthRequired, to streamline the authentication process and ensure that the user’s authentication state is managed effectively within the Next.js page.
  5. Asynchronous Data Fetching:

• For asynchronous data fetching, you can use methods like fetch, Axios, or any other relevant libraries to retrieve the required data from your API or data source within the getServerSideProps function.