Expiration Time (exp) claim error in the ID token — larger time discrepancies

Hi,

I’ve looked at a similar topic here, and am curious if something else might be going on in our application.

Ours is a Vue app that encounters the error upon invoking handleRedirectCallback. We’ve seen about 11.4k errors like this (from a relatively small set of sessions i.e., the same session sends many of the same error) in the same span of time in which we saw 405k successful logins. Checking a couple of the errors, the time discrepancies range at least from 5 hours to 37 hours. I’m skeptical that a user’s machine might be off by 37 hours or more, and am wondering what might be going on here.

Example:

Error: Expiration Time (exp) claim error in the ID token; current time (Thu Jul 29 2021 18:46:38 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)) is after expiration time (Wed Jul 28 2021 04:47:39 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time))

Thanks for the help!

Hi @adam.gipril,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I think you have already identified the problem; you have a user/users who’s machine is off time. It is more likely a single user’s machine is off by 37 hours vs. the Auth0 auth server being skewed by that amount.

I think that may be the case after looking further. We have some errors being reported on July 31 at 1:55 PM MDT, but the “current time” the user’s machine reported was August 1 at 11 AM CDT. After seeing that the “current time” value is calculated with new Date(Date.now()) (see here for anyone coming to this later), that must be the issue.

Thanks for looking into it!

1 Like

No problem! Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting a follow up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.