Error add permission from API

Hi,
I am implementing some backend logic and I would like to create some permissions on the fly so I can add them to my user roles when specific user events occur.

I found this page on how to update permissions on a specified API, but when I call it , get a strange error:

{
    'error': 'Bad Request', 
    'errorCode': 'invalid_body', '
    message': ""Payload validation error: 'Expected type object but found type string' 
    on property scopes[3]. (also) Payload validation error: 'Expected type object but 
    found type string' on property scopes[2]. (also) Payload validation error:
     'Expected type object but found type string' on property scopes[1]. 
    (also) Payload validation error: 'Expected type object but 
    found type string' on property scopes[0]."", '
    statusCode': 400
}

My backend is in python and this is what I did:

import os
import requests

AUTH0_BASE_URL = os.getenv("MY_ENV_VAR")

def add_permissions_to_api(apiid, permissions):
    """
    add a permission to a specified api

@params apiid: string of api id: eg for _my_api <api_id_hex_string>
    @param permissions: List[tuple] list of (permission name, permission description)
        eg: [("read:test1", "read on resource test1"), ("write:test2", "write permission on resource test2")]
    """
    ENDPT = "api/v2/resource-servers"
    auth = get_token()
    headers = {"Authorization": f"{auth['token_type']} {auth['access_token']}"}
    data = {"scopes":[dict(zip(("value","description"),(i[0], i[1]))) for i in permissions]}
    url = "/".join([AUTH0_BASE_URL, ENDPT, apiid])
    return requests.patch(url, data=data, headers=headers).json()

I checked many times and I have formatted my payload exactly as in the example link above.

Any idea how I can deal with this please?

Thanks

Anymore on this? I’m getting the same error type to create by POST /clients with a client_metadata object property, using python. The dictionary is correct, the string representation is correct, but the Auth0 mgmt API throws a 400 error with message’: "Payload validation error: ‘Expected type object but found type string’ on property client_metadata (Metadata associated with the client, in the form of an object with string values (max 255 chars). Maximum of 10 metadata properties allowed).
Print of the body dictionary: {‘name’: ‘test-1’, ‘app_type’: ‘regular_web’, ‘token_endpoint_auth_method’: ‘client_secret_post’, ‘client_metadata’: {‘tenantId’: ‘c5c1b7b1-d35b-4cb1-8e39-10518f2deeaa’}}

What’s wrong with this??

1 Like

Figured it out. I was inadvertently using the ‘data’ attribute of python request module rather than the ‘json’ attribute in the POST.

1 Like

Glad you have figured it out and thanks for sharing it with the rest of community!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.